Car Repair Roundup: Here’s What You Need to Know About Brakes
Anytime your car needs a repair, you probably see dollar signs. As much as you don’t like to spend your hard-earned money on fixing your vehicle, it’s important that you keep up with repairs to extend its life and to keep you and your passengers safe. One of the most common repairs – that every car will need eventually – is brakes. Let’s dig into what you need to know about brake repair.
1. There aren’t any rules about frequency
Everyone’s brakes will wear differently and there are several factors that come into play.
- Your driving habits. Do you haul heavy loads? Do you ride your brakes? Do you follow the vehicle in front of you too closely? The answers to these questions all play a role in how quickly your brakes wear down.
- Where you’re driving. Your brakes will wear out more quickly if you’re frequently in stop and go traffic, you drive windy roads on a regular basis, or you use your vehicle off-road.
2. Ask the right questions
The price for brake repair can vary widely. Don’t be afraid to ask questions so you know exactly what you’re getting for your money. Here’s what you should ask.
- What’s included? A reputable mechanic will include flushing the old brake fluid, adding fresh fluid, resurfacing the rotors, and adjusting all the mechanisms.
- How long will the job take? Same-day service is great, but it isn’t always feasible. Think about how long you’ll have to wait to get on the schedule and how long the shop will have your vehicle.
- What’s their approach to replacing parts? The best option is to replace all the brake components with one unit that’s made specifically for your vehicle.
- Is there a warranty? Ask your mechanic about the warranty fine print before you have the work done. What does the warranty cover and for how long? Are inspections included?
- Do you trust the shop doing the work? A reputable mechanic will always be ready and willing to explain any repairs to you. They’ll show you what’s being done and they will even save the used parts for you to see if you wish.
Trust the experts
Trust your gut. If a shop won’t answer your questions or you feel like they aren’t being straight with you, move on. At Conrad’s, our skilled mechanics treat your vehicle like it belongs to their own mother. You can trust your brakes will be repaired with precision, speed, and at a price that fits your budget. Give us a call and let’s talk about your needs and our solutions.